Top Things To Do After A Car Accident In St. Petersburg
Getting into an car accident can be a harrowing experience. Even when injuries or damages are minor, a crash can be unexpected and frightening. Below are some steps you should take after a car accident. To discuss your specific case in a free consultation with a St. Petersburg car accident lawyer, please call The Law Offices of John R. Mathias, P.A. today at 727-362-2122, or complete our contact form. We represent car wreck victims in St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Tampa and all of South Florida.
Checklist After A Car Accident
The first and most crucial step following a car accident is tending to the injured. In serious accidents, medical personnel arriving at the scene will do this and it is important that you follow their instructions. In less serious accidents, immediately pulling to the road shoulder may be appropriate.
After stopping the vehicle, take the following steps:
- Exchange information with the other drivers involved. Be sure to collect their names and insurance information.
- Inform the police and your insurance company about the crash, but do not offer detailed information or opinions. Let the police and your insurer know that you will be seeking legal advice.
- Report your claim immediately. The sooner you report your claim to the insurance company, the better.
- See a doctor. Seeing a doctor is not only important to ensure all of your injuries are diagnosed and treated correctly and in a timely manner, but a doctor can prescribe appropriate follow-up care and give you an idea about the extent of your injuries. A correct prognosis is important for determining how much compensation you should ask for.
- Get your car fixed or replaced. First, keep track of where your car is towed. Take pictures of the wrecked vehicle If your car is fixable, my team can help coordinate your repairs and get an adjuster out to appraise the damage. If your car is damaged beyond 80% of its value, your car will most likely be considered “totaled,” and the insurance company will give you a check for its cash value.
- Keep a record of all expenses that you incur. In addition to the value of your car, you may also be compensated for the loss of the use of your car, as well as rental car expenses while your car is being appraised or repaired. Ask our attorneys for advice and help to protect your interests regarding property damage.
If you have followed these steps, then you have laid the groundwork for a possible personal injury claim. I have more than 30 years of experience in these matters. I care about car accident victims, and I am well prepared to help you pursue the maximum available compensation.
Injured In A Car Accident? Request A Free Consultation.
If you have been in a crash that you believe was caused by another motorist, consult with an experienced personal injury attorney from my St. Petersburg law firm today. Ask about the process of compensation for your accident and injuries.